The Mechanicville Police received information regarding contractors who come knocking on people’s doors and offer a service. While they did provide a service and may have repaired the issue, the amount of money they charge you is usually far greater than it should have been. So as a friendly reminder, we urge all residents to use caution when hiring a contractor to do work.
Here are some (cautionary) tips to look out for:
- · solicits door-to-door;
- · offers you discounts for finding other customers;
- · just happens to have materials left over from a previous job;
- · only accepts cash payments;
- · asks you to get the required building permits;
- · does not list a business number in the local telephone directory;
- · tells you your job will be a "demonstration;"
- · pressures you for an immediate decision;
- · offers exceptionally long guarantees;
- · asks you to pay for the entire job up-front;
- · suggests that you borrow money from a lender the contractor knows. If you’re not careful, you could lose your home through a home improvement loan scam.
If you ever have any concerns, please feel to contact your local police department at 664-7383 and we will help or investigate the incident.